skip to main content
High School Exit Exam Elimination

Former students may now be eligible for a diploma.

Related Documents:
ACT 207 Diploma Petition Form
Credit Required for Graduation

Former Georgetown County School District students who successfully completed all required courses but did not pass the BSAP or HSAP exit exam will now be eligible to receive their high school diplomas.

Act 155 (H. 3919) passed by the General Assembly and signed into law by Governor Nikki R. Haley on April 14, 2014, states in part “Beginning with the graduating class of 2015, students are no longer required to meet the exit examination requirements set forth in in this section and State Regulation to earn a South Carolina high school diploma."

A person who is no longer enrolled in a public school and who previously failed to receive a high school diploma or was denied graduation solely for failing to meet the exit exam requirements may petition the local school board to determine the student’s eligibility to receive a high school diploma. The elimination of the exit exam (BSAP, HSAP) requirement is retroactive to the graduating class of 1990.  Persons eligible to receive a South Carolina high school diploma under these provisions must have met all other graduation requirements at the time of his or her high school attendance. All eligible candidates' names must be verified and submitted by the local school board.  The Department will not accept requests directly from a diploma candidate. Petitions will be directed to the local school board based upon the high school that the eligible candidate attended. The local school board will transmit diploma requests to the South Carolina Department of Education in accordance with Department procedures, which are included below. 


Process to request your South Carolina high school diploma:

1.  Complete the Diploma Petition Form located within Related Documents on the right.

2.  Request your official high school transcripts as follows:

  • If you last attended AHS or WHS after 2010, request from your school.
  • If you last attended CBH or GHS after 2011, request from your school.
  • If you last attended AHS or CBH prior to 2010 or GHS or CBH prior to 2011, you must complete a transcript request form from the Student Records Department.  For information and forms, see Transcript/School Records Request.

3. Submit the completed Diploma Petition Form and a copy of your official high school transcripts to

Amanda Fort
Georgetown County School District
2018 Church Street
Georgetown, SC  29440

Phone # (843) 436-7172

Fax # (843) 436-7171


  Please allow 8-10 weeks after submission for processing, printing, and delivery.